How to protect your home from Flooding
When protecting your home from flood damage, assess the risk flooding poses in your region and your house specifically. You should then try to carry out a range of preparations and renovations, such as applying a sealant to any foundation cracks and checking with your insurance company to determine if any addition coverage for flooding is available.
The first step to flood protection is to determine how likely you are to suffer a flood in your area, and how well your house is built to withstand it. The FEMA Flood Map Service will show you the general flood risk of your region. After you enter your zip code, click "View web map," to see your area's flood zones, and click "show all products for this area," to see reports of your region's flood history.
Here are some areas to improve the flood protection of your home:
- Install foundation vents, or a sump pump
- Check with your insurance agent for additional coverage
- Repair any foundation leaks or cracks
- Raise your electrical outlets and switches
- Grade your lawn away from the house
- Make sure gutters are clear and direct water away from the house
For any additional questions on how to protect your home or business from flooding call us at (314) 858-1688